Advances in Health and Life Sciences
Strategic Objectives and Actions
Leverage our Strengths in Health and Life Sciences
IUPUI will assert its national leadership position in health and life sciences by offering programs of unsurpassed quality and scope; supporting effective teaching and learning, leading-edge research, and healthy patient outcomes; and emphasizing interprofessional education and practice.
As IU’s urban health and life sciences campus, IUPUI has developed a comprehensive array of academic units and programs to promote health-related research, education, and outreach. Our health and life sciences enterprise has grown in concert, and, often, in collaboration with, the health and life sciences sector of Indiana’s economy over the last two decades. Translational research, team science, and interdisciplinary efforts are all hallmarks of the health and life sciences, and IUPUI is poised to take advantage of the critical needs and emerging opportunities of this important economic sector. As the home of five health science schools, including the second largest medical school in the country, IUPUI prepares health care professionals who serve the citizens of Indiana and beyond.
Representative actions that will enable IUPUI to achieve its objectives for health and life sciences:
- Organize, integrate, and align IU’s/IUPUI’s health infrastructure to achieve common goals.
- Become a national model for population health, public health, healthcare delivery, and public-private healthcare partnerships.
- Develop and selectively invest in specific health subfields within such areas as cancer, neuroscience, cardiovascular health, and behavioral health.
- Engage with community members on health and wellness to improve Indiana’s health status and reduce vulnerability to disease. Promote early interventions that target quality-of-life (prevention, physical activities, decreased tobacco use, alternatives to violence, and so on).
- Align health-related workforce development and education initiatives to broader campus and university-level priorities and opportunities.
- Encourage student, faculty, staff, and visitor wellness at IUPUI by making the “healthy option” the default option, whenever possible.
- Model sustainability by focusing holistically on the social, environmental, and economic vitality of citizens and communities.
- Create and scale up the Center for Interprofessional Health Education and Practice with a goal of achieving sustainability through internal and external funding.
- Engage students and faculty from the various health and life sciences schools in collaborating in classroom and clinical settings to deliver higher quality, comprehensive patient care.
- Implement, integrate, and evaluate interprofessional health education programs and exemplary practices sites and translate outcomes into collaborative practice models in order to improve patient outcomes, quality, and cost effectiveness.
- Promote excellence in three key areas of interprofessional heath education and practice: curriculum development and integration; faculty development and leadership training; and outcomes evaluation and scholarship.