About the IUPUI Strategic Plan
Our Commitment is more than just a title of a strategic planning document: it reflects the values, aspirations, and culture of IUPUI. The theme of commitment has permeated our planning process, and as we implement this strategic plan, we embrace Our Commitment to:
- Serving Indianapolis, the state of Indiana, and beyond
- Addressing the needs and expectations of IUPUI’s many stakeholders, including students, staff, faculty, community members, and other partners
- Honoring and achieving IUPUI’s vision, mission, values, and campus strategy, including greater coordination and alignment of our activities to achieve maximum impact
- Reporting on and improving IUPUI’s effectiveness, using performance indicators to evaluate our progress.
Our Commitment to Indiana and Beyond: IUPUI Strategic Plan reaffirms the campus’s commitment to the city of Indianapolis and the state of Indiana, as well as to continued national and global engagement to improve the quality of life in communities worldwide. As we re-dedicate ourselves in this plan to our vision, mission, and values, we also look ahead to several key milestones for IUPUI, IU, and American higher education:
- In 2019, IUPUI will celebrate its 50th anniversary as a campus. Since our founding in 1969, there has been tremendous growth of both the city and the campus, and each has made crucial contributions to the success of the other. As a leading Indianapolis employer, and the only urban, public research institution of higher education in the region, IUPUI continues to enrich the quality of life for the citizens of Indianapolis, serving as an educational and economic powerhouse in the city.
- In 2020, Indiana University will commemorate its bicentennial, marking 200 years of providing educational excellence to Hoosiers and others from around the nation and world. As both a core campus of IU and the state’s only academic health and life sciences center, IUPUI plays a key role in advancing IU. In our comparatively short history, the campus has grown in size, stature, and impact, and been widely recognized for accomplishments in teaching and learning, research and creative activity, and community engagement. As IU’s 200th anniversary approaches, IUPUI can take pride in its substantial contributions to strengthening IU’s reputation, quality, and effectiveness.
- 2025 is a landmark year for which a number of important state and national goals for college degree attainment and economic development have been identified. The Indiana Commission for Higher Education’s Reaching Higher, Achieving More outlines an ambitious goal: by 2025, Indiana must substantially increase the proportion of Hoosiers with a high-quality degree or credential. The Indiana Chamber of Commerce’s Indiana Vision 2025: A Plan for Hoosier Prosperity calls for Indiana to become a global leader in innovation and economic opportunity, a place where enterprises and citizens prosper. These state efforts are joined by national initiatives led by, among others, the Lumina Foundation for Higher Education, the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, and the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities, all of whom have developed plans to increase higher education attainment in the U.S. by 2025.